Friday, March 25, 2011

March Madness!

Pin It

Hey All!

I haven't gotten a chance to post lately, so I finally got my Mardi Gras and St. Patrick's Day photos uploaded so I can group it all in one post!




For Mardi Gras I wanted to make a traditional King Cake. I had never made one before, so I was excited to try it out. The recipe I used made two cakes, I filled one with the traditional brown sugar filling with pecans, and the second with cream cheese and fresh strawberries. It turned out good! However, the bottom was way darker than I would have liked. I have an issue with yeast cakes/breads in that I'm so nervous about taking them out too early ever since that Thanksgiving where I served delicious golden rolls only to be surprised by sticky doughy centers. It was still very tasty though, and unless everyone was just trying to make me feel good, everyone liked it too!

Traditional King Cake

My Ruby as The Queen of Mardi Gras!

For St. Patrick's Day I wanted to make some nice decorated cookies. I usually make my cream cheese cutouts, which I looovvveeee, but I wanted to try a No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe that I've seen over and over. It was okay. I mean, it's a good sugar cookie, I just love so much about the cream cheese cookie. The NFSC freezes well and is a little more cost effective, yet browns very easily and is a crispier cookie unless it has had a couple days to rest. The cream cheese cookie has a nice mild taste, doesn't brown as easily, and is a softer cookie from the get. However, in my experience, does not freeze as well and does not have as long of a shelf life. I'm still undecided on this one. Everyone did love the cookies, though!

I got the ideas for the cookies from Sugar Belle. She is an amazing cookie artist from Texas. She uses royal icing, however, and I use glaze icing. Her work is so picture perfect, it is such an inspiration! She shares great tips, too! I learned to think outside the box when it comes to my cutters (the pot-o-gold is a snowman with his head cut off!)

Pot-O-Gold

Leprechaun

Shamrock

Leprechaun 2 - The glaze was still not set on this one yet!

Nom Nom Nom....
Hope your holidays were as great as mine!
Love, Kailee




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...