Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Just a LITTLE late :)

Pin It

So I'm going through my old posts and almost every post starts out with me saying how it's been awhile since I have last posted! Ha! It really has been awhile this time. Here's a quick recap of what's been going on:
I found out I was pregnant in March and long story short I've been really ill this whole time with pregnancy sickness and a chronic sinus infection. I'm starting to feel like myself again so here's to actually posting regularly and feeling good!!! :D


This post is one of the last orders I did from April right before I had to give in to a hiatus. My gorgeous friend Mellissa has a son named Brody, and for his first birthday we all went to the zoo! It was such a great time. Mellissa wanted me to do cupcakes for his parties in a zoo/jungle theme. I had been wanting to try fondant toppers so here's what I did!

Monkey. Ooh Ooh!

Chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream. My fave!

Tiger. Meoooowww!

Zebra. What kind of sound do zebras make? Neiighhh??

Lion. Raaaawwwwrrr!!!!

Vanilla with chocolate buttercream

Sweet Brody trying to eat his candle!

Brody with his daddy

They took waaayyyy longer than I had anticipated. I think it might have been because it was my first time, I was trying to figure out what I could use to cut the shapes (a couple things I had to hand cut), and I made my own fondant and colored it myself.
 Another issue I ran into was using the black food coloring pen for details. The problem was that I had rubbed them all down with crisco so they would be shiny and not be all covered in powdered sugar...but then when I tried to use the pen it wouldn't work! I think what I ended up doing was dipping the pen in my black food coloring tub and doing it that way. You can tell the detail isn't very sharp.
This is what they should look like! I took the idea from Cookie Covers on Etsy, hers are immaculate! I'm kind of embarrassed to do the comparison, but I've got to give credit where credit is due!!!
I think they turned out pretty good for never having done them before, plus they were a big hit and the kids loved them, that's all I can ask for!!!

Love,

Kailee

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the pregnancy! Those cupcakes came out great! I love the little lion.

    I am new follower from the Blogging Buddies Thursday Hop.
    Vicky @ http://messforless.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...